2. Web address: http://sfde.math.siu.edu
3. Text: James Stewart; Essential
Trancendentals, 2nd Edition, Thompson, Brookes-Cole, ISBN:
978-1-133-11228-0; Sections 3.5 (review as homework); 3.7; 5.3-5.4
(review as homeowrk); 6.1-6.3; 6.5
6.6; 7.1-7.3 (optional); 7.4; 7.5-7.6 (optional); 8.1-8.8;
4. Class meeting time and place: MWRF 11:00-11:50am (Neckers 156).
5. Prerequisites: Math 150 or
with a grade C or
better PLUS satisfactory placement score or permission of the math
the first week of class, you will be required to take a readiness quiz.
quiz is designed to test whether you have mastered the prerequisites
this class. Calculators are not allowed in this quiz.
6. Assessment: Three hourly exams, quizzes plus common final.
7. Quizzes: Unannounced, approx. one quiz a week.
9. Homework: There will be regular assignments in class. Homework is an essential part of the learning process. You must take the home work assignments very seriously.
10. Cell phones, Computers and
department permits the use of scientific calculators on the final exam.
However, calculators or computers with graphic, word-processing,
symbolic manipulation or programming capabilities will not be allowed.
Use of cell phones is not allowed during class, quizzes, tests or the
11. Incompletes: According to
will not be assigned unless the student is passing and there
Southern Illinois University Carbondale is committed to providing a
safe and healthy environment for study and work. Because some health
and safety circumstances are beyond our control, we ask that you become
familiar with the SIUC Emergency Response Plan and Building Emergency
Response Team (BERT) program. Emergency response information is
available on posters
in buildings on campus, available on BERT's website at
www.bert.siu.edu, Department of Safety's website www.dps.siu.edu (disaster drop
down) and in Emergency Response Guideline pamphlet. Know how to respond
to each type of emergency.